Translate

Friday, April 3, 2015

Is Wiggins Rookie Of The Year?

Everybody has been telling me, Wiggins is ROY. I honestly have to agree. Others have said Mirotic is ROY. Nobody has really told me that Noel is ROY. Coach Nick has told me that Payton is ROY. I honestly think it's a little lopsided though and it's leaning toward Wiggins.

Here is what Coach Nick had to say. I don't agree with him but I thought it was a great point. I don't think Payton should just be ROY just because he broke a record though. He just hasn't been the better player in the obvious stats I will show you.


Let's take a look at some stats (credit NBA.com)

If we take a look at Noel, His offense is okay, but when have you seen a rookie of the year only average 10 PPG. His defense somewhat makes up for it though.
  • 10 PPG
  • 46.4% FG
  • 0% 3pt
  • 61.2% FT
  • 1.9 Free Throws Made Per Game
  • 8.2 RPG
  • 1.7 APG
  • 2 Turnovers per game
  • 1.8 Steals Per Game
  • 1.9 Blocks Per Game
  • 100 Defensive rating (the lower the better)
  • 91.3 Offensive Rating (the higher the better) 

Let's take a Look at Wiggins now. His offense is great, and he shoots quite a bit of FTs. His defense is okay as he is averaging over 1 steal. It's not as good as Noel's though.
  • 16.3 PPG
  • 43.6% FG
  • 32.2% 3pt
  • 75.3% FT
  • 3.9 Free Throws Made Per Game
  • 4.4 RPG
  • 1.9 APG
  • 2.1 Turnovers Per Game
  • 1.1 Steals Per Game
  • 0.6 Blocks Per Game
  • 109.9 Defensive Rating
  • 100.1 Offensive Rating
 Now it's time for Nikola Mirotic. He has the best defensive and offensive ratings, but remember, those ratings factor in the players you play with, so it doesn't help Mirotic's case. He averages less than 10 PPG. Many people say he should be rookie of the year because if he started, he would be better than Wiggins. The fact is, he doesn't.
  • 9.9 PPG
  • 41.1% FG
  • 30.6% 3pt
  • 80.3% FT
  • 2.7 Free Throw Makes Per Game
  • 5 RPG
  • 1.2 APG
  • 1.1 Turnovers Per Game
  • 0.6 Steals Per Game
  • 0.7 Blocks Per Game
  • 99.4 Defensive Rating
  • 105.3 Offensive Rating

 Lets look at Elfrid Payton. He averages barley any points. He can't shoot the three. His Free Throw is worse than Noel. However, He averages 6.3 APG.
  • 8.9 PPG
  • 42.9% FG
  • 22.9% 3pt
  • 54.3% FT
  • 1.4 Free Throw Makes Per Game
  • 4.3 RPG
  • 6.3 APG
  • 2.5 Turnovers Per game
  • 1.6 Steals Per Game
  • 0.2 Blocks Per Game
  • 105.5 Defensive Rating
  • 101.3 Offensive Rating

You will see that I made the best guys at the category green and the worst red. I did however factor in their positions they play (example: Noel isn't red in the 3pt%) Now to my point. I have never seen a rookie of the year average under 10 points. I am going to take Payton and Mirotic off right away for that. I think it comes down to Noel and Wiggins. The fact is though, Wiggins can score anyway; Post up, Spot up, Three Pointers, Free Throws, Dunks and layups. Noel can score inside, that's about it. Does his Defense make up for it? A little. I don't think he has been a better player than Wiggins though. Wiggins is the Dominant Rookie.



No comments:

Post a Comment